[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Halo Reach Forum - View topic - How to survive a sword Melee
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:54 am

How to survive a sword Melee 

Post How to survive a sword Melee
I saw this on a video last night.. A much welcome improvement in the sword systerm.

Right before you are hit with a sword attack (timing must be perfect) hit the RB button, and if timed right it will deflect the attack. (For a defender without a sword).

Mon May 10, 2010 2:35 pm

Post Re: How to survive a sword Melee
How do people feel about this?
In one way, I feel like it takes away a ton of the swords value, but invasion makes it common enough that an instakill would be overpowered.
There is typically 1 sword on slayer maps, and any chump who's paying attention can take out a sword user in cqc.
Thoughts?

Mon May 10, 2010 4:06 pm

i think its a bad idea, the sword can already be countered with either range or a shotgun. plus it deosnt make sense, if the sword can cut through shields and armour with no problem then how come sticking your gun or arm up infront stops it dead

Mon May 10, 2010 5:42 pm

It is supposedly REALLY difficult to do.
I don't think it would take away form the sword too much.

1) The majority do not know about it
2) The situation will not come up very often and when it does I'd assume the defender would forget
3) After deflecting one attach, you are still not in the clear
4) Again, it is really difficult to do according to the video

Tue May 11, 2010 10:26 am

either its a little more common or theres just a glitch with the beta. but sometimes if i have the sword ill hit someone with it but they dont die and some how they are able to kill me almost instantly..

Tue May 11, 2010 10:41 am

I have blocked on several occasions, but shortening the span in which you can block might balance it if it gets out of hand.

Tue May 11, 2010 4:08 pm

I feel that the sword counter is both lore unfriendly, and unreasonable in game. The other short range counterparts, the shotgun and the hammer, have no such drawbacks. The sword has enough drawbacks to begin with, bungie needs to restore it to the way i was in halo 2, a weapon to be feared, like the other power weapons. If they are going to nerf something, they should do it to the rocket launcher, or the plasma grenade launcher, not the sword. In regard to the nature of Invasion, the loss of the counter would not make the sword over powered, after all, the Spartans can start with the shot gun with doesn't have a similar counter, and has a faster recovery time in between misses. It takes a great deal of effort for a sword wielder to kill a calm and skilled shotgun wielder.

Tue May 11, 2010 10:26 pm

Honestly, i feel the sword is underpowered. It is extremely easy to deflect, I never lose in a melee battle against the sword. I think its cool that it can be countered, but maybe give it some other bonuses. Faster hits, can be taken out quicker, only can be blocked twice, etc.

Wed May 12, 2010 3:46 pm

Great idea; no longer are you a near-unstoppable beast when you're camping hallways with an Energy Sword. It has advantages and disadvantages; the advantage obvious, but the disadvantage for the non-Sword user is that they probably won't be able to get another deflect, so they are pretty much forced to kill the enemy or die trying. I do know that at range you can kill a Sword user with the M6G and even net a Bulltrue.

Fri May 14, 2010 9:04 am

This reason is the reason to Ignore the Sword Entirely and go for something else.

Halo Reach Rank: Legend
Halo Reach K/D Ratio: 1.15
Halo Reach Slayer Maps Made: 3
Halo 3 Rank: Captain Grade 1
Halo 3 K/D Ratio: 1.00
You've got no idea what you're messing with.

Fri May 14, 2010 2:38 pm
Profile YIM WWW