View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:35 am

Movement/Environmental Interaction - Elites with Gyro Heads 

Post Movement/Environmental Interaction - Elites with Gyro Heads
This, fellow blessed-beta testers, has become my only real issue with the Reach Beta thusfar.
I ask you, nay! implore you; step back from your desk, clear a space if need be then do your best and fastest commando roll. Then let me know, once you're back on your feet and at your desk - or, perhaps, for some, once you've regained consciousness - what you saw.
Did you watch, unhindered, as your surroundings moved past you at a slightly accelerated speed? NO!
Why then, when using the Elites otherwise wicked roll ability, does this happen? I understand in previous Halo games the decision was made to basically hover an attitude meter assisted camera in front of the avatars (Spartan or Elite or ODSTs) face, and give what that sees to be the gamers view. But I thought this was going to be a new and revolutionary Halo? The definite title? Claiming to be so because it was the most emersive!
Well when, why does it throw me straight back into my bloody living room whenever I move with the characters, or especially when I dodge with the Elites.
The new abilities are undeniably brilliant, the guns are too. The movement of the characters is - however sadly - lacking. As far as I know, and as far as has ever been highlighted in any Halo media, Elites don't have gyroscopic heads. Therefore, when they roll, their view should be inhibited as they're rolling.
Some of you might say this would be too much of a hinderance to gameplay when using the elites, but I'd to highlight that the ability to attack while you're dodging is already unavailable. The camera rolling with the eye-line of the Elite, as the elite actually rolls, would be an irrefutable asset to the realisation of not just a Halo game, but a Halo EXPERIENCE. Every ability you use intentionally has its drawback in gameplay. The Guard ability restricts movement, the Sprint ability stops you from being able to fire at enemies instantaneously. The Camo ability inhibits speed of movement, for the sake of its' benefits. The Jetpack inhibits the ability to dive into cover and gives you a slightly sloppy locomotion. The Elites dodging and rolling inhibits your ability to attack, in order to give you superior evasive abilities, why then, must it make it feel that you're just a camera on the Elites nose, and not actually the Elite?
Responez S'il vous Plait!

Sun May 16, 2010 8:29 am

Post Re: Movement/Environmental Interaction - Elites with Gyro Heads
If they did that, I'd like to see a HUD, to feel like i'm looking through a helmet like in Metroid :D

Mon May 17, 2010 10:43 pm